Monday, April 8, 2013

MATRON MONDAYS


Our weekends are usually not low key. Jimmy plays electric guitar, so most weekends he is scheduled to play at a few different churches in the area. This weekend was a unicorn weekend (they do exist). One of those weekends where we both had a clear schedule to just relax and unwind. Saturday we had time with our friends. The husband hit up the gun range with his man friends and I had some brunch crepes at the only French Cafe in town. I also was able to go to my happy place, the country. Spent some time getting a few shades darker by the pool. The relaxation had by the two of us separately joined together in our evening homebody party. We always say we're boring. We hit up the hulu and went to bed before 10pm.

Sunday was yet another unicorn like day. We got ready for church together, ate breakfast together & drove to church together. If you are a spouse to a musician at church, you know how rare this kind of Sunday is. I'm such a creature of habit, once I'm ready for church I am ready. Here's the deal, I absolutely hate being late to church. I blame it on my grandma who would be at service an hour early for prayer meeting. I was at church an hour early until I got my drivers license. Sunday is that bizarre day where breakfast never existed. Maybe the message soaks in better on an empty stomach, or getting ready & out the door is more important than food. That was until I met my husband. The dude is not a functioning member of society without breakfast -- Sundays included. On days off, my guys is on leisure time as opposed to his call-time punctuality. All those who have been married longer than 3 days know what "discussions" happen in moments like this. In the end, we were on time for church.

Since we are young, wild & free, we like to explore. So we drove around Houston all day. Ate terrible barbeque food down on Kirby, walked the aisles of Whole Foods and then ended up in Old Town Spring (random). I would say the highlight of the day was just laying in sun next to each other. Quality time is something we are good at. It was a good unicorn weekend! So good I didn't get to grocery shopping until 6:30am today. Surprisingly, I didn't mind having the entire store to myself and morning shift. I spent the majority of my time in the produce section.



I am in week two of the Simple Green Smoothies. So far I skipped Saturday & today I couldn't finish my smoothie. Today I made a cacao powder smoothie that was not for me. I have come to the conclusion, I really don't like savory smoothies. I like pineapple or berry based smoothies. What I like the most about this challenge is the lack of waste of produce. I usually don't finish a box of spinach. We start strong with eating salad on Monday, come Friday we might have finished half the box. Our vegetable intake has definitely doubled.

Meal planning is focused on protein and vegetables. Last week I ventured out and tried some new recipes. This week's plan focuses more on a variety of vegetable sides.



I made what you see above, tonight to get rid of the rest of our cauliflower head & use a bag of frozen cauliflower I bought for this recipe a while back. I did a bit of experimenting and this recipe is based off of a recipe I found here. Lucky for my husband, this experiment was delicious. 

Thyme Cauliflower 
  • Medium-Size head of Cauliflower, florets
  • 3/4-1 cup Unsweetened Coconut Milk
  • 1 tbsp of Thyme
  • 3 Cloves Garlic
  • Salt & Pepper to taste
Directions:
  1. In a medium saucepan, heat the coconut milk for 5 minutes.
  2. Add Cauliflower florets, Garlic and thyme. 
  3. Heat until Cauliflower looks translucent and tender. (about 5-8 minutes) 
  4. Blend, using an immersion blender stick or blender. (Don't over blend)
A few things I would probably change next time would be adding another texture and don't over puree. My husband loved it and I loved it. We paired it with barbeque baked chicken. I honestly didn't expect cauliflower to give the same texture as mashed potatoes. These were tastier than the powder mashed potato mix my grandma makes for holidays and easier. I really like knowing that there was nothing unhealthy in this recipe. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...